Here's the latest "project" that I completed. It's not my first go-around with this particular bike, in fact, I might have posted something about how much I dislike the design of the internal cable routing for the rear derailleur cable a while back. My problem with the design isn't with the difficulty fishing the cable thru the frame, that's quite easy and it takes but a minute or two tops. My beef is with the internal cable guide that's located aft of the bottom bracket and looks like :
To make a long story short, I think that this adds a lot of friction to the system even with adding a nylon sleeve to the guide to allow for smoother cable travel.
Anyway, this time with this frame was extra special because both of the bolts that attach the plate for the guide to the frame were completely frozen and the 3mm hex rounded out with very little effort. First attempt at slotting the bolt heads and using a flathead screwdriver failed. Next course of action was to remove the bolt heads. Here's the result:
After careful inspection, I found that Kestrel used nutsert. I then went town carefully removing both with one of my favorite tools. Here's the result: