The Complete Tune is by far the most popular maintenance package that I am asked to do at least annually on my clients bikes. Since it seems like everyone does different things when it comes to tune-ups or overhauls, I figured that it would be a good thing to list exactly what I do. By doing this, you know exactly what you are getting.
1. Inspection of the frame and fork for any damage.
2. Inspection of the chain, cassette, and chainrings for wear and/or damage.
3. Inspection of remaining components including headset, bottom bracket, pedals, cables and housing sections for wear and/or damage.
4. Inspection of wheels and tires for wear and/or damage.
5. Inspection of bars, stem, seatpost, and all related fasteners for any damage.
6. Contact owner with estimate if anything needs to be replaced or with any other concerns that would add to the initial quoted estimate.
7. Remove chain, cassette, crankset, rear derailleur, and front derailleur and place in Crest Ultrasonic cleaner*.
8. Clean frame, fork, and brake calipers.
9. Apply initial coat of spray wax onto frame and fork.
10. Clean both front and rear wheels as best as possible.
11. Adjust hubs and true wheels.
12. Remove chain, cassette, crankset, derailleurs from ultrasonic cleaner.
13. Dry drivetrain components and apply lubricant to all pivot points.
14. Install cassette back onto rear wheel.
15. Apply high quality grease onto spindle and install crankset.
16. Check rear derailleur hanger alignment and correct if necessary.
17. Install both front and rear derailleurs back onto frame.
18. Install wheels.
19. Install chain and apply chain lubricant.
20. Reattach cables to both front and rear derailleurs and make adjustments to limit screws, cable tension, and alignment.
21. Adjust both the cable tension, caliper and pad alignment of front and rear brakes.
22. Adjust heaset.
23. Inspect and torque all stem bolts to manufacturers specification.
24. Apply final coat of wax onto frame and fork.
25. Inflate tires to manufacturers recommend pressure.
26. Test ride bike.
* Very few shops have an ultrasonic cleaner. The Crest Ultrasonics model that I use is heated, which makes for more effective cleaning. Additionally, I use a biodegradable detergent.
For a list of my other labor rates, here's a link to my service menu.